1.02.2014

1.2.2014

The Littlest e. Part 1.

What a crazy couple of weeks we've had. Reading my last post, I have to giggle. Let's recap.

After a whirlwind of activity this fall (studying for oral boards, PASSING to become a board-certified anesthesiologist, prepping for littler e's 1st birthday, having tons of family visit us over a couple of weeks to celebrate, etc), I figured I could finally catch my breath and get ready for the littlest e's arrival. Turns out I was wrong.

I kept attributing the way I was feeling to just being so tired from all the events, chasing a toddler and preschooler around, working and being pregnant. So I just kept chugging along. URI's and GI bugs went through the family....and my URI stuck around for weeks and weeks (still lingering a bit now!!). The boys started to share a bedroom...and the transition, which started on Thanksgiving, is still, well, transitioning. So, sure, anyone would feel crappy when a full night's sleep is a distant memory, right? I mean, every morning, I'd wake up with an even bigger belly than the night before, a 3 year old with his feet tucked under my side, an unhappy 1 year old with a nose full of snot and an exhausted husband who is working full time and trying to handle the kids at night because mommy is pregnant.

Still, we survived and kept on plowing though it all. I had bouts of feeling "funny" and would always have relatively high blood pressure at my OB visits -- but, um, duh? After much hemming and hawing about stopping work before my actual schedule c-section date (btw, why do we women-physicians do this to ourselves? It's like unless we hurt ourselves and have a medical necessity to stop working, we just feel like we can't play the pregnant "card" -- as if we are abusing it somehow? Sigh. A post for another day), I decided to start my leave 2 working days earlier than I had originally planned. Whoo! What a huge decision. Hah.

And then, bam! Last Saturday, after dropping the boys off at a b-ball game, totally unexpectedly, I ruled in for what was looking like mild pre-eclampsia....and had to decide to have my section the next morning.

And so, the littlest e made his arrival on December 29, 2013 at 11:43 am. 7 lbs, 12.5 oz, 20 inches.





Yay! We made it! Now all we had to do was settle on a name. Who knew that that may have been the harder step?



No comments:

Post a Comment